News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Sprained Wrist

skating_injury - Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Greetings,

I am a 30 year old male, exactly four weeks ago, I suffered a pretty serious wrist injury while skateboarding. As the night went on, the pain worsened and my range of motion decreased. I used the RICE technique, and by the next morning the symptoms had in fact gotten worse. There was swelling on the top of the wrist. There is a bone on the top of my wrist that makes a little "bump", right below the hand on the outer side of the arm. This bone was swollen, and I was certain that I had broken my wrist.

I went to the emergency room that morning and the doctor there informed me that the wrist was not broken, only badly sprained. I was given a splint and told to continue icing the wrist. In the next few days, the pain and swelling in the wrist improved dramatically, and after the second week I stopped wearing the splint. The problem is, that in the two weeks that have passed, the pain has only improved slightly and the bone that was swollen is still swollen. On a day to day basis, there seems to be no real improvement. Is there a chance that my sprain was mis-diagnosed? I have heard that bad sprains can take up to 10 weeks to fully heal. Is this the case. I do not usually experience pain, unless I rotate the wrist counter clockwise. Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:04 am

User avatar Hi Skating_injury,

Severe sprains can take a long time to heal, sometimes months. But, you should be noticing at least some slight improvement on a consistent basis.

Sometimes, small fractures may not be visible on the initial x-rays. If there is persisting pain repeat x-rays can be done after about 7-10 days to see if the fracture now shows up.

If your pain is not getting better I would recommend you follow up with your doctor.

Best wishes.
 skating_injury - Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Dr. Chan. The day I made my initial post, I decided to start wearing a splint again. I was not able to locate my original one so I purchased a glove looking thing from the pharmacy designed to immobilize the wrist. The pain and swelling seems to be improving, although I am interested in getting some follow up x-rays just to be sure. Thanks again.
 skating_injury - Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Whoops sorry I mean Dr. Lowe. They need an edit function on this site ;-)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here