Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: deltoid ligament

hurtankle - Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Male 26 years old never been injured before great health.

I have an injury to the deltoid ligament in my left foot. I am looking to se a doctor on a second opinion the first Dr. I have seen is a bit wishey washey on the treatment The ligament is partially torn anlong with the tibialis posterior tendon from an ankle that was bent up and inward from missing a step going down the stairs. He is on the fence that immobilization will correct this issue as it stands right now I am currently in a short leg cast for 4 weeks I'm not totaly sold on the fact that this is the correct treatment. if this does correct the issue and surgery is needed what kind of healing time is needed and am I wasteing my time right now? This was found from an MRI. The doctor seemed a bit clueless when he was looking at the films he was just going on what the report said. If surgery were needed to fix this would it have to me immobile after as well? what is a realistic time frame for this type of injury?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:34 pm

User avatar Hi Hurtankle,

The answer to this question really depends on how much of the ligament has been torn. I would recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon to have this evaluated.

If the tear is minor immobilization may be sufficient. If it is more severe surgery may be needed. Recovery time after surgery is often long. A cast will likely be placed for eight weeks or so then slowly weight bearing will be returned. The times may vary a bit depending on your case.

|