News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: deltoid ligament

hurtankle - Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Male 26 years old never been injured before great health.

I have an injury to the deltoid ligament in my left foot. I am looking to se a doctor on a second opinion the first Dr. I have seen is a bit wishey washey on the treatment The ligament is partially torn anlong with the tibialis posterior tendon from an ankle that was bent up and inward from missing a step going down the stairs. He is on the fence that immobilization will correct this issue as it stands right now I am currently in a short leg cast for 4 weeks I'm not totaly sold on the fact that this is the correct treatment. if this does correct the issue and surgery is needed what kind of healing time is needed and am I wasteing my time right now? This was found from an MRI. The doctor seemed a bit clueless when he was looking at the films he was just going on what the report said. If surgery were needed to fix this would it have to me immobile after as well? what is a realistic time frame for this type of injury?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:34 pm

User avatar Hi Hurtankle,

The answer to this question really depends on how much of the ligament has been torn. I would recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon to have this evaluated.

If the tear is minor immobilization may be sufficient. If it is more severe surgery may be needed. Recovery time after surgery is often long. A cast will likely be placed for eight weeks or so then slowly weight bearing will be returned. The times may vary a bit depending on your case.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here