Question: Fractured finger- Is there really any need?

Wubblelvr - Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi, my name is Victoria Wisner. I am a female and I have had no past surgeries yet have had many broken or fractured bones.

I have a simple question. I was playing basketball with a couple of my buddies down at the rec center when I went up to shoot and the ball came down on my finger. I went to the doctors office and they told me to get an x-ray and in the mean time they splinted it. Do I really need to get an x-ray if it is already splinted? If I get an x-ray and they find out it is fractured or anything else, all they are going to do is splint it right?

These are some pictures of my finger.

This is the picture:
[/img]Image

This is the splint the put on it:

[img][img]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x194/Mylittlewubbles/Picture31.jpg[/img][/img]

Thanks,
Victoria
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 pm

User avatar Hi Victoria,

Most finger fractures only need splinted; however, it is important to get the x-ray. There are some fractures that may need more involved treatment to be sure that range of motion and function of the finger is preserved.

|