Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Complications after knee replacement surgery

luvblkngld - Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:04 pm

I am a 54 year old male. I had a total left knee replacement on July 12 of this year. Immediately after surgery I had sever pain and pins and needles and numbness along the outside of my left knee. This ran from my knee to my buttocks. I told my doctor about it right away. While in the hospital I was unable to do a straight leg raise because was so sever it that area. The pain was also severe when I was put on the flex machine. The outside of my leg snapped when when I walked or bent it. I also had severe pain when I would lay on either side, but the pain was more intense when I would lay on my right side. The pain was concentrated on the outside of the knee and ran along the outside of my thigh.

I started P/T in August. The best flex I was able to obtain was 105 degrees. Last week my flex was 95 degrees. I would writhe on the mat in pain when my therapist would attempt to flex my leg. After 45 visits I still had the same problems. The numbness and pins and needles decreased from above mid thigh to my buttocks. It is always more intense at bedtime.

I had a nerve test done and it was alright. I also had an MRI done on my left thigh and lower back. In February I had an L5 herniated disk, but after P/T it felt much better. My doctor though that the muscle and nerve problem could be associated with the disk problem. The MRI stilled a slight herniatrd disk. I was unable to more than 25 straight leg raises without any weight only a handful of times. The pain along the outside of my leg was always to intense.

Two weeks ago I told my doctor that I had not gotten any better and the P/T was not helping me at all. He suggested I see one of his partners. I had written everything down that was wrong with me and gave it to him the next day. He said that I had a lot of scar tissue and that I needed a laterial release to take care of the problem on the outside of my leg.

I was scoped this past Monday. In the recovery room he told me that he had flexed my knee to 155 degrees during surgery. I was told to start P/T and do my exercises at home. The first of P/T my knee was flexed to 98 degrees.The pain, numbness and pins needles are still in my thigh. The pain on the outside of my knee is still intense when I lay on my right side. My knee still snaps.

I was reading an article about compartment syndrome and tourniquet palsy. It sounded similar to some of my symptoms. I am at wits end and very depressed. I am tired of takin pain medication all of the time and would just like to find out what is goin on.

I have also dicided to go to another practice for a new evaluation.

thanks
 luvblkngld - Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:06 am

Sorry, but I reviewed my posting and want to apologize for some typo errors. After being scoped this week my doctor told me that hed had flexed my to 115 degrees instead of the 155 degrees that I posted.

I have also noticed numbness in my left foot. This started after my surgery last week.
 MissCherylRN - Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 am

Hi, I am sorry to hear about all your knee trouble. Has the possibility of an infection in the knee been considered?
 Dr. mnermis - Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:51 pm

After total knee replacements, knee range of motion depends on especially the position of the components rather than the infection.

Compatment syndrome is very rare and severe complication after surgery.

it seems like a patellar click syndrome that was result of malposition of the components.

And it is important that was you doctor changed your patellar surface, did any neurectomy for patella.

Femoral component malposition and patellar resurfacing are usual factors for decreased range of motion and anterior knee pain.

|