Question: trapped nerve due to broken collar bone

hazel carnell - Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 am

I am 50 and broke my collar bone, Iam now experiencing sever pain down my arm and into my wrist, could this be a trapped nerve
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:33 pm

User avatar Hi Hazel Carnell,

The answer to this depends a bit on where the collar bone was broken but overall I suspect the likelihood is low that the bone itself is causing the pain issues. The reason for this is that the nerves that supply the arm leave the spin in the neck and travel below the musculature into the arm pit where they form the brachial plexus. Subsequently they travel down the arm. The Brachial Plexus and spinal nerve roots are a fair distance away from the clavicle (collar bone).

However, it may be that the trauma that caused the broken clavicle also caused some stretching of or damage to the nerves that supply the arm, giving you the pain.

You may want to see you regular doctor or a neurologist for further evaluation of this.

|