News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Neck sprain

PeggyT - Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Can a neck sprain/whiplash cause loss of control to head that would allow the head to fall over freely onto the shoulder? This is never listed as a symptom for a neck sprain injury. Can this symptom only happen if the neck is broken? The circumstance I'm referring to, is an accident that happened to my sister when she was 10. Her injury happened when her feet were pulled up over her head in a backwards summer-salt action. The injury was diagnosed 40 years ago as a neck sprain and was treated as such. She was out in a matter of days playing and riding horses with no evidence of an injury with exception to the home-made neck collar that she wore. She is now claiming that her neck was broken/snapped in the incident because she was unable to hold her head up. This is a family debate that has come up often. Can you provide some clarification on this particular symptom and if a sprain can cause lack of ability to hold the head up for a short period of time?
 Sandy Tracy RN - Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am

User avatar Hi PeggyT.

I have been unable to find any information to support that a neck sprain can prohibit a person from holding up thier head. If the neck was broken or fractured surgery would have been needed to fuse the areas together. The recovery period for this is longer than a few days.

I hope this does not stir the debate. It sounds as though it was a simple case of whiplash or a neck sprain, not a break

Sorry for the delay in response
Sandy Tracy RN
 PeggyT - Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:41 am

Sandy,
Thank you for the reply. I couldn't find anything on that symptom either. Unfortunately my mother is ill and can't remember any of the details related to the medical treatment.

Thank you,

Peggy
 Sandy Tracy RN - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:00 am

User avatar PeggyT,

Hope your mother is feeling better and good luck trying to find more answers.

Sandy Tracy RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here