Question: Broken Hand Please Help

Fulong - Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 pm

My right hand, was injured. I am not able to grasp and hold most items, because of a binding pressure in the hand. In addition, the dorsal (backside) of the hand has two protruding fourth and fifth metacarpal bones at the fourth and fifth carpometacarpol joint.

Is this just a matter of prying back the metacarpal bones back into place? At least the fingers have feeling, and the hand no longer is swollen and discolored black and yellow completely as before. When the injury had occurred I could not even sleep due to the pain. Unfortunately, I have no medical coverage, and currently unemployed. If that wasn't all, I am also in major debt. So I would really like to heal my hand as it's required to do the most basic functions, that are often needed and required for almost all types of employment. Can you be of any help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:31 pm

User avatar Hi Fulong,

I completely understand your concern about the financial aspect of seeing a doctor but I am a bit concerned about your hand based on what you are describing. The protrusions may actually be dislocated bones. A broken bone causing a deformity is a possibility and would probably still be pretty painful to push on at this point.

I would recommend you have this evaluated if at all possible to be sure that what ever is going on heals properly so you don't loose any functionality of your hand.

You may want to call your local health department to see if there are any clinics that see patients on a free or reduced fee scale based on income. These clinics are often available and are good choices for those without insurance.

Fulong - Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Dr. Chan,

Thank you for your prompt reply back to this forum. Unfortunately, I have no telephone, no automobile and I am new to this area, so I want to ask, if it is not so much a trouble for you, can you refer to me such free clinics that would be available in the Greensboro, NC area?

Perhaps, you can arrange for a doctor to just meet with me? Also, you did not specify if the dislocated bones would only need to be physically pushed back into place, thinking I will need to do this myself?

I was also thinking that if I could have a X-ray taken of my hand, this would certainly be helpful to me to indicate just how the dislocated bones can be put back into position without causing additional nerve damage of course!

Any help is appreciated.

By chance if you haven't yet seen the documentary film by Michael Moore, called "Sicko", it's a documentary comparing the highly profitable American health care industry to other nations, which I recommend that you become aware and anyone else reading this comment posted here: http://www.michaelmoore.com/sicko
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:01 pm

User avatar Hi again,

I wish I could be of more help to you regarding this but I am not familiar with the area. I'm on the other side of the US. I would recommend you call your local health department. They will likely be the most help to you.

|