Question: giant cell tumor

sunlover36 - Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:39 pm

My husband had surgery for a giant cell tumor of the wrist. the doctor told him that he would use cadaver to replace the damaged bone. He used cement to fill in the bone instead. My husband stressed to the doctor that he is very active and even asked the doctor when it would be ok to do pushups.. the doctor replied "wehnever you feel ready" Now the doctor is telling him that the bone is way too thin and he risks breaking it if he puts any stess at all on it..... Why did this doctor tell hime he would reconstuct the bone and then use cement without first letting my husband know what he was going to do. My husband asked the doctor about reconstuction now and he said, it will not work, you are risking further damage...... does this sound right???
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:12 pm

User avatar Hi Sunlover36,

Sometimes during surgery, the best plan to repair the area changes once the surgeon is able to see the actual area. It may be that during the surgery, his doctor determined that the cadaveric bone would not be a good option to repair the area.

Unfortunately, surgeries do have a risk of failure and it sounds like your husband's bone did not heal as expected. At this point, my best advise is for your husband to continue to follow up with his orthopedic surgeon regarding the area. If you are concerned it is always reasonable to request a second opinion. Most physicians are not offended by this because having another person review the case can often bring to light things that weren't thought of before. Basically, the more minds the better.

|