Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Hip Surgery Revision due to infection

Judy Lee - Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:44 am

I had total left hip replacement 3/05. Had pain after first year, which only got worse. In July 07 my doctor did aspiration of lt. hip and found verry thick bactaria. Hip joint removed Aug.1 07 and spacer put in with antiobiotic. Home with antiobiotics two months. Hip joint replaced Oct. 2 07. Incision infected Oct. 20,07. Opened up and irrigated.(Staph-orris) Antiobiotics taken for a month. Nov. 30, 07 another infection (cellulitis) at incision area. Antiobiotics again (still taking (dicloxicillin) My doctor did another aspiration and fluid is clear and blood work is now in normal range. Is fluid in hip joint supposed to be there? Also doctor is considering keeping me on a lower dose of antiobiotic maybe for the rest of my life (I'm 59). Is this the way to go from here? I am concerened with the fluid in hip if it is normal..Thank you for your input.....
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm

User avatar Hi Judy,

There is normally a small amount of fluid in the hip joint to help lubricate the joint. It is called synovial fluid. It should be clear not cloudy. Cloudy fluid often indicates infection, as in your first case.

I am less familiar with infections of hip replacements regarding the longterm treatment; however, infection of foreign body is difficult to clear because the bacteria are able to grab on to the hardware well.

Your surgeon may be considering the longterm antibiotic as a preventative method to help prevent an infection from developing.

You may want to see an infectious disease specialist to see if there is anything else you can do to help prevent further infections from occurring.

|