Question: Broken tibia and fibula

DARB - Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:39 pm

I am a 36 year old male and fractured my tibia and fibula playing soccer 3 months ago (it was a clean break that did not penetrate the skin) . A titanium rod was inserted below the knee the full length of the tibia and held in place by a screw at either end. I was on crutches for 3 to 4 weeks and had an air cast for 3 to 4 weeks after that. For the last 4 to 5 weeks I have been walking almost normally although I still have a slight limp. I have always had a slight lump (bulge) on my leg where the break was but over the last few days it seems to be more noticeable. Is this normal and when will it disappear (if ever). I am not in any pain, it is just slightly sore sometimes after periods of activity.

Thanks for your advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:28 pm

It is very difficult to tell what this lump could be. You probably had also a considerable level of soft tissue damage associated with this severe fracture.

This may result in a lump that with healing will be reduced in size. However, growing in size is of concern and direct clinical examination is essential.

It is also important to follow up with a plain X ray to make sure that there is a normal union of the fracture.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor; he may recommend a new X-ray to exclude complications.

Please keep us updated.

|