News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower rightside rib/back pain when taking deep breaths

nyczszx - Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:58 pm

I started having these sharp pains in my lower back side under my ribcage i believe on December 30th.. It's Jan 6th now and im still having these pains..(On the right) whenever i take really deep breaths. I remember is that i was sitting down and i been taking alot theraflu and i did an ackward movement and then i felt this pain right on the lowerside. It does not hurt when i touch it but strangely the pain goes away once i get that area massaged or when i apply a heat pad..why is that? After i get it massaged and take deep breaths its fine but after a while it comes back again. when i use the bathroom its fine nothing looks diffrent. And i will add that it hurts when i lean forward and take deep breaths but when i stand up straight i feel no pain. I'm freaking out can anyone please tell me what it could be? Could it be cause i took too much Theraflu and medications because i had the flu over the holiday? Or the ackward movement when i was sitting down (because thats when i started feeling the pain) kidney problems? (even though i feel no pain when i pee) i am so scared and been having panic attacks because of this... Thanx :*(
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:15 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It sounds as though most likely you've injured an abdominal muscle. The fact that it can be reproduced by certain maneuvers and started after an awkward movement which was similar to what causes it now, along with the fact that it responds to both massage and heat, suggests a muscle pull. At the time of your post it had been not quite a week, so it should have begun to resolve shortly after that, although since it would seem to be a voluntary muscle in a "busy" area of your body (involved in breathing, twisting, etc.), it could be re-aggravated repeatedly, especially by your testing of it.

If this doesn't resolve on its own within another few days, by all means see a doctor (for muscle relaxant and/or pain medication prescriptions). Otherwise, I think you can relax (and doing so may help the muscle to heal more quickly).

I hope this eases you mind and that by now you're feeling fine. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here