News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: gluteus maximus pain from running

snowball1978 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 pm

hi, i started running a few weeks ago, and noticed some soreness in my left buttocks and near my spine...last night, the pain was almost unbearable, and no position is comfortable...not even sitting, standing, walking, or lying down...it feels like a sharp pain at times and even feels like it is catching with pains that shoot in my leg...what do i need to do? i don't have insurance so going to a doctor is not really an option...is this serious? or will it heal on its own? please help! thanks,
allison
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 pm

User avatar Hi Allison,

It sounds like you may have a pinched nerve in the back from a slipped spinal disk. In particular, the shooting pains down the leg make me think this is the case. The classic test for this is the "straight leg raise" where the pain is made much (often much, much) worse by raising the lower leg straight while sitting upright.

If this is the case treatment often is by rest and physical therapy but in severe cases more intensive treatment (or rarely surgery) may be needed.

I would recommend you be evaluated if at all possible. Often there are clinics that can see patients on a free or reduced fee basis for those without insurance. Your local health department can usually help find these clinics if needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here