Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: gluteus maximus pain from running

snowball1978 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 pm

hi, i started running a few weeks ago, and noticed some soreness in my left buttocks and near my spine...last night, the pain was almost unbearable, and no position is comfortable...not even sitting, standing, walking, or lying down...it feels like a sharp pain at times and even feels like it is catching with pains that shoot in my leg...what do i need to do? i don't have insurance so going to a doctor is not really an option...is this serious? or will it heal on its own? please help! thanks,
allison
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 pm

User avatar Hi Allison,

It sounds like you may have a pinched nerve in the back from a slipped spinal disk. In particular, the shooting pains down the leg make me think this is the case. The classic test for this is the "straight leg raise" where the pain is made much (often much, much) worse by raising the lower leg straight while sitting upright.

If this is the case treatment often is by rest and physical therapy but in severe cases more intensive treatment (or rarely surgery) may be needed.

I would recommend you be evaluated if at all possible. Often there are clinics that can see patients on a free or reduced fee basis for those without insurance. Your local health department can usually help find these clinics if needed.

|