Question: 2 yr old child w/ broken arm

rachel - Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 pm

my daughter broke her arm 11/13/07, the doctor did not cast it. they said because it was a twist break it would heal in 2-3 weeks and it would just need to be splinted. that was almost 2 months ago. I am starting to get concerned as to why it is not healing like they said it would? Typically how long does a break like this take to heal? the break is a few inches above her wrist. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

User avatar Hi Rachel,

It sounds as if your daughter has a spiral fracture (twist fracture). In general, fractures of children's bones heal very, very well, even if there is a significant angle to the two bone parts. What is needed for them to heal is for the bones to be immobilized. There needs to be immobilization of the joints above and below the fracture. If it is the lower arm, the wrist and elbow should be immobilized. If it is the upper arm, the elbow and shoulder need to be immobilized.

The reason to immobilize the joints is because even though the bone may not be able to move if splinted/casted without the joints, the bones can still be moved when the joint moves. A splint, if done properly can be just as good as a cast at immobilizing the joints/bones.

Typical healing time is 6-8 weeks for a fracture. If it is not healing well I would recommend that she see an orthopedic specialist (bone specialist).

|