Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: upper back pain when bowing head

solarflares - Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:55 pm

For years I've experienced pain in the upper right portion of my back when I bow my head toward my chest. Stretching my neck and back, even lightly, makes the pain worse; massage also seems to enhance the pain. I can't pinpoint the exact location of the pain, but it seems to be near my scapula. It feels as though there is a rubber band going from my neck to my upper back and as I bow my head, the band threatens to rip out of my back. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions you can give.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:27 pm

User avatar Hi Solarflares,

It sounds like you may have a tight tendon or muscle in your back. There is also the possibility that the movement is causing some compression of a nerve causing your pain. Physical therapy can often be very helpful for these types of pain.

I would suggest you consider seeing a sports medicine doctor for further evaluation. Sports medicine doctors are muscular specialists.

|