Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Patellar Dislocation After ACLR

AlliP - Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Hello!

I had my ACL reconstructed close to 17 years ago, a bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft. Over the years I have had virtually no problems with my knee. Unfortunately starting about 2 years ago my kneecap began to dislocate to the side. Since this is relatively common in people who have the type of graft I do my orthopedic gave me a brace to stop my kneecap from sliding around so much. Fantastic! But now all of the sudden my kneecap is sliding straight up my leg and sliding right back down into place. I have acute pain (obviously) when it happens but it goes away pretty quickly and then my quads are just really sore for the next couple of days. Is it worth going to see a doctor for this? Unfortunately my doctor is retired so I would have to find a new one and I'd hate to waste their time and mine for something in which not much can be done and/or it's not really damaging anything.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 pm

User avatar Hello AlliP,

My knowledge of this problem is a little limited so I can't tell you exactly what this may be due to. I do think it is worthwhile having an orthopedist evaluate your knee to see if anything else needs to be done to help this.

If there is a chronic dislocation problem it may begin to cause other problems such as pain due to the muscles constantly tensing up trying to hold the patella in place.

|