News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Patellar Dislocation After ACLR

AlliP - Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Hello!

I had my ACL reconstructed close to 17 years ago, a bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft. Over the years I have had virtually no problems with my knee. Unfortunately starting about 2 years ago my kneecap began to dislocate to the side. Since this is relatively common in people who have the type of graft I do my orthopedic gave me a brace to stop my kneecap from sliding around so much. Fantastic! But now all of the sudden my kneecap is sliding straight up my leg and sliding right back down into place. I have acute pain (obviously) when it happens but it goes away pretty quickly and then my quads are just really sore for the next couple of days. Is it worth going to see a doctor for this? Unfortunately my doctor is retired so I would have to find a new one and I'd hate to waste their time and mine for something in which not much can be done and/or it's not really damaging anything.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 pm

User avatar Hello AlliP,

My knowledge of this problem is a little limited so I can't tell you exactly what this may be due to. I do think it is worthwhile having an orthopedist evaluate your knee to see if anything else needs to be done to help this.

If there is a chronic dislocation problem it may begin to cause other problems such as pain due to the muscles constantly tensing up trying to hold the patella in place.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here