News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI result "improved disc herniation" but more pain?

dbrown1450 - Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:34 pm

I recently had a 2nd MRI since thoracic injury in 2002. I can't see my doctor until next month. Could you please explain the new findings where herniation has improved and yet I'm in more pain than before. I don't think I'm crazy & just thinking I have this pain. Maybe I should go see a psychiatrist. MRI states:
THE VERTICAL BODY HEIGHT, ALIGNMENT AND BONE MARROW SIGNAL IS NORMAL. THERE IS DEGENERATIVE DISC SIGNAL THROUGHOUT THE THORACIC REGION, SIMILAR TO PREVIOUS STUDY. THE CORD SIGNAL IS NORMAL. THERE IS A PERSISTENT T8-T9 DISC HERNIATION WHICH HAS SIGNIFCANTLY IMPROVED WHEN COMPARED TO THE PREVIOUS STUDY. THERE IS MODERATE CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS AND MILD CORD COMPRESSION.
The 2002 report conclusion: central & right paracentral T8-T9 disc herniation of moderate size with associated cord impingement.
Thank you for your time with this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:05 pm

User avatar Hello Dbrown1450,

While your disk herniation has improved, there are still several findings on the MRI that are likely to be causing some pain. Degeneratve disk disease can cause significant pain. Also, the mild cord compression and canal stenosis can put pressure on the nerves of the spinal cord causing pain.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor regarding an treatments that may help with your pain.

Best wishes.
 dbrown1450 - Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Dr. Lowe,
Thank you for your time in responding. When I reread my question I realized I didn't ask it completely to the get all the answers I'm seeking. First, I don't understand how a herniation could get better. Could it go away entirely with more time? If it did would these other problems go away too? I'm wondering if any of these are a result of this injury because I never had back pain before I became injuried. I'm assuming the cord compression is from the herniation, but is canal stenosis? I should mention I am a 54 year old male, 6" tall, 200 lb and in otherwise good health. My 80 year old mother has degenerative disk disease. Could that be brought on earlier in life as a result of this injury? If so, it's been 6 years ago, will it keep getting worse? I know I've ask you alot of questions...and I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble sleeping because I just can't fit the puzzle together in my mind. I promise I will be satisfied with whatever you reply this time and I won't repost any more. Thank you again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here