Question: Dislocated PIP joint Treatment?

ifd29 - Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am

Good morning, I dislocated the middle joint of my index finger about 8-9 weeks ago. It had went back into place right away and xrays showed nothing to be broken. It has continued to remain swollen and seems my range of motion is getting less. I just followed up with a specialist and he is going to start me on therapy for the range of motion. I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion to be sure the treatment is sufficient. He has ruled out any collateral ligament damage.
My concern now is the length of time since the injury. Will this affect how much movement I evenually get back in this finger or will my outcome still be the same? What types of PT should I expect out of them to make sure they are correctly treating my finger? I am currently using Coban wraps to push some of the swelling out. I know the healing time is months but I want to be aggressive in treatment. Thanks so much for your forums!!! And TIME :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:19 pm

User avatar Hello Ifd29,

It sounds like you have been appropriately evaluated. Physical therapy can help in these cases. Often the therapy will focus on stretching the muscles safely and maximizing the range of motion to help restore normal movement.

Continued follow up with your orthopedic specialist or hand specialist is important to be sure that things are improving as they should.

|