Question: Sever ankle sprain

haven77947 - Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi my name is mathew bricault , i sprained my ankle about 4 months ago went to the emergency room they took exrays and sent me home no cruthches no boot nothing.. then then called me a week later to tell me there might be something wrong with my foot and to go get new x-rays done wich i did lucaly i got them for free... the tech that did them said she could see a problem and would have to send them to her super or something like that well either way they called and said they found nothing. i have been in pain for 4 months i can walk on it now but i cant run i cant jump or lift anything heavy my ankle always hurts.. continualy pops in and oud very painfull... i have no health insurance.. i had purchased an air cast on my own wich strenghend it alot. im not sure what to do i think the next step is an MRI but how can i afford that im not sure what to do anymore i cant get a job with an ankle like this.. well any help anyone can give would be great

thanks in advance

mathew
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 pm

There seems to be some equivocation over whether or not there is something more than a severe sprain (which could easily be enough to cause the problems you've been having anyway). Normally an MRI wouldn't be necessary to clarify this, and a good orthopedist should be able to determine exactly what's wrong. I suspect it was a severe sprain and you've in part taken positive steps to help it heal (the air splint was a good idea). However, in order for it to properly heal you need to stay off it as much as practical. That isn't easy, I know. Still, it needs to be iced, kept elevated as much as possible, and used as little as possible. Gravity and weight-bearing both slow healing of these kinds of injuries.

While that's about the most I can tell you at a distance, I would definitely try and see an orthopedist, since the thing hasn't healed well and the longer it goes on, as you point, out, the longer before you can work and have insurance. If there's some way you can work it out, an orthopedist could probably determine what's wrong and also give you some help in getting it to heal if there's nothing else wrong.

Best thing I can tell you from here. Good luck and please do check back in with us here.

|