News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: shin contusion

agf - Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

One week ago I was playing volleyball and collided with another player while in mid air and then fell to the floor very hard on my shin just below my knee and slightly to the left. It was very painful immediately and swelled a lot right away. I did the whole RICE routine and limped around (I could barely put weight on it) for 2 days. It only hurt more and more, so I went to get an xray just to check. Doc said no fractures, so I figured I was in the clear. Now it is day 7 and I am still in a great deal of pain and my entire lower leg is a giant bruise. The area that took the blow is still swollen, as is my ankle now. Is this still the normal course for a shin contusion or is something else going on ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:17 pm

User avatar Hello -

While you don't seem to have a fracture or deformity, your tibea did take a what sounds to have been a pretty hard blow where knee tendons connect to the muscle, and you appear to have treated it properly but then proceded to try and walk it off. This latter is probably why it is hurting and looking so ugly right now. I'd suggest getting off it for a few days as much as practical and maybe even using a crutch or cane briefly to relieve some of the work imposed on it. People tend to wildly underestimate how much work and pressure is presented to the lower leg, especially at and just below the knee. You've got quite a contusion and probably some trauma to the connective tissues right where you landed. The signs you describe would be consistent with such an injury followed by use instead of rest. The swelling is less than surprising for the same reason the lower leg is so vulnerable: gravity. Please give it a rest, keep it elevated, and continue the RICE routine for a couple days at least. It should begin to improve. If not, by all means go back for a re-evaluation. It's possible sometimes for a fracture to be missed on x-ray, although it is rare.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here