Question: shin contusion

agf - Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

One week ago I was playing volleyball and collided with another player while in mid air and then fell to the floor very hard on my shin just below my knee and slightly to the left. It was very painful immediately and swelled a lot right away. I did the whole RICE routine and limped around (I could barely put weight on it) for 2 days. It only hurt more and more, so I went to get an xray just to check. Doc said no fractures, so I figured I was in the clear. Now it is day 7 and I am still in a great deal of pain and my entire lower leg is a giant bruise. The area that took the blow is still swollen, as is my ankle now. Is this still the normal course for a shin contusion or is something else going on ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:17 pm

While you don't seem to have a fracture or deformity, your tibea did take a what sounds to have been a pretty hard blow where knee tendons connect to the muscle, and you appear to have treated it properly but then proceded to try and walk it off. This latter is probably why it is hurting and looking so ugly right now. I'd suggest getting off it for a few days as much as practical and maybe even using a crutch or cane briefly to relieve some of the work imposed on it. People tend to wildly underestimate how much work and pressure is presented to the lower leg, especially at and just below the knee. You've got quite a contusion and probably some trauma to the connective tissues right where you landed. The signs you describe would be consistent with such an injury followed by use instead of rest. The swelling is less than surprising for the same reason the lower leg is so vulnerable: gravity. Please give it a rest, keep it elevated, and continue the RICE routine for a couple days at least. It should begin to improve. If not, by all means go back for a re-evaluation. It's possible sometimes for a fracture to be missed on x-ray, although it is rare.

Good luck to you.

|