News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Signs that a broken toe is not healing?

tessa - Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I broke my toe almost a month ago and went to the hospital for X-rays. They showed that I'd broken the longest bone in my middle toe. It was broken in half lengthwise in a jagged diagonal. I've done everything they told me to do, but am still seeing swelling and am unable to tolerate much weight at all. There are improvements, like most of the bruising is gone and of course being able to handle a bit of weight, but it seems like it should be better than this. I have heard that a bone can heal in a non union and new X-rays are required to see this. Is there a rule of thumb as to how long you should wait before running (gimping) back for more x-rays? I don't want to rush in if a month is an acceptable period to still be on crutches. That's why I thought I'd ask here first, because I really can't afford to spend that kind of money if there's nothing actually amiss here...but I don't want to cripple myself for life cause I'm too broke to go back to the Doctor. Thank you for any advise you might offer.
 Cynthia H, RN - Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Toe breaks are mortal pain. A normal bone takes 6 weeks to heal at least - depending on your age and diet and weight and activity.
It seems that foot injuries are more likely to be rushed as we need to use our legs for every day activities.
Can you wiggle your individual toe that was injured without too much pain? Weight bearing can cause pain as the toe is trying to heal on its own and is obviously not used to weight as you stated that you were on crutches. Even sprained ankles are treated with a cast as immobility of the sprained ankle heals the ankle the best.
Range of motion of the injuried toe without pain is a good sign - take it easy and let yourself heal. Pain is a sign of tissue damage and this could mean improper healing. Then I would have the toe checked out via x-ray....

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here