News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: slip disc

krish71 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 am

I have been diagnoised with slip disc and precriped the following drugs right now
meloxicam once in 2 days and sodium rabaprezole(once in 2 days along with the former drug)
also i have been prescribed mecobalamin 500microgram injection once in 3 days
my doctor canot be contacted now, so is it ok if i take a drug with following combination
Mecobalamin.............. 1500 mcg
ALA.................... 100 mg
Folic Acid I.P..............1.5 mg
Vitamin B1............... ...10 mg
Vitamin B6.................... 3 mg
instead of the injection?please advice.

krish
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello Krish,

I cannot comment specifically on your situation regarding substituting medications because I do not have access to your medical record, nor can I evaluate you directly so before making any changes to your medicines I would recommend you contact your doctor or who ever is on call for your doctor to see if it is safe.

In general, there may actually be a concern about changing from an injected mecobalamin to an oral one. Usually this particular vitamin is well stored and easily absorbed so if there is deficiency it may be that there is a problem absorbing it from the GI tract. There are various reasons for this. The injection bypasses all these problems and restores the levels.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here