Question: Broken coccyx

lessi - Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Can you help me? A 2 years ago, I was having a contest against a kid and we were to jump off the swing and see who could jump farthest. We were in a playground area. I jumped off, and flew about 10 feet in the air. On the edge of the playground, there was this black border (to keep the sand in) and the head of a nail was standing out. After jumping off the swing, I landed straight on the head of the nail. My back, arms, legs, and neck went numb. The only thing I could feel was the excruitiating pain in my coccyx. I could not move at all. I had to fake that I was all right however. When I walked, I could not walk in a straight line, not even close to one. It was black and swollen. When I bent down to get something, I went down with my whole body as to not injure myself more. But when I tried to pick the thing up, my back and my coccyx area twisted in an impossible way. I could feel every muscle in my back pulling on my coccyx. I couldn't sit or sleep. We had a championship soccer game the next day. I tried to run in a straight line but I could not. My hips and my back were writhing, like they hada mind of their own. My coach noticed, and made me sit for the rest of the game, which was really painful. Even now, as I sit, it makes me cry after like 10 minutes. I cannot run as fast as I used to, nor do any sit ups. I used to be a really good athlete, but now I can't even exercise painlessly. I cannot sleep on my back nor use my back muscles at all. I did not go to the doctor when I hurt myself or anytime near that time. My grandma told me that it was just a bruise and it would go away. Well, its now 2 years since I hurt myself and it is not even close to going away. Can you help me? What has gone wrong? Can I do anything to help myself?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:29 pm

After two years I doubt there is anything more you can do yourself, but you should get an orthopedic or neurology consult to see if there is some long-term damage and determine what can be done at this late stage to restore your normal function.

|