Question: broken left tibia

waters - Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi:
on December 12,2007 I slipped on Ice and broke my left tibie.
The fist cast had to be removed after 6 days due to the ankle been positioned wrong by the attending GP.The orto surgeon put me in an air cast for 6 weeks
Than when I was hoping to get walking he told me I needed surgery (plate and 6 screws)
2 weeks later I had a blood clot go through my system into my lung (heart attack)
(5 days in CCU) Now I notice that I have a circulation problem (cold,rosey colour & when I tough it turns white for a few seconds the back to the rosey colour.
I am still experencing some pain and unable to move my toes/ankle (I can manually but painfull ) (Tylenol #3 help a lot)
After 12 weeks of crutches I will be seeing the DR on March 25 for more info.
My job is in building maintience which require a lot of walking and ladder work
Inside and outside work lifting envolved
Any suggestions on when I should return to work and what I should have for restrictions.
Thanks for you time
Rick
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:56 pm

User avatar Hi waters,
Did you have a re-evaluation of your leg? Were diagnostic studies completed to evaluate for any circulation disorders or to rule out another DVT (blood clot)? Are you on any preventative maintenance therapy, i.e., blood thinning medications to inhibit recurrence?
 waters - Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:07 am

Yes I have had been to two specialist and also Physo for the last 4 weeks
Advancing a little bit, But still unable to apply much pressure on my foot They say I have a bad RSD,as of Friday 18 I had a Lumbar Sympathetic Block inserted They tell this should help with the circulation and pain, I see the ortho specialist on Monday and the Physical medicine doctor on May 8.
I am in building maint and do a lot of walking climbing and lifting Have not been back to work yet , Not sure if and when I will be able to
Looking for any suggestions that may help .What have others experenced?
Rick
 waters - Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Would it be possible when I had my surgery on my ankle that the tourquine
was too tight and this my have caused the CPRS in my left leg
Rick
 waters - Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm

waters wrote:Yes I have had been to two specialist and also Physo for the last 4 weeks
I am in building maint and do a lot of walking climbing and lifting Have not been back to work yet ,
Not sure if and when I will be able to
Looking for any suggestions that may help .
have others experenced?
Do you think the tourneq (miss spelled) was too tight or on too long may have helped cause this problem.
Rick

|