News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: 5th month not recovered from Foot bone fracture

patient12007 - Sun May 11, 2008 9:34 am

On december 15 2007 I fell off and fractured my left foot's 5th metatarsal bone.
X-ray report confirmed proper fracture. I had a cast up to my knee on my left leg. After one month cast was removed. My second X-ray was still showing fracture and no healing. I went for my bone Profile test,Dr recommended vitamen D3 injections along with Oscal(Calscium and vitamen D3 supplement) and One-Alpha tablets(alfacalcidol----1 alpha hydroxy vitamen D3).

First injection was taken on March 12 2008 , while the 2nd one was taken on March 27 2008. I am still on my oral medicine. It is the end of 5th month, I still have swelling and pain in my left foot. My Orthopedic Doctor told an X-ray cannot show that bone is joined back.

Please give me advice. What should I do to recover my bone?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 pm

User avatar Hello -

There are several points which should be addressed here. First, while it is generally true that an x-ray cannot disclose whether or not a fracture has knitted (unless it was a displaced fracture to start with), a sharp-eyed orthopedist usually would be able to tell using serial x-rays over time, because there normally would be some changes visible. Clearly the doctor wanted to treat for possible osteoporosis as well. This latter could be causing a very slow healing process, but there also needs to be ruled out the possibility of osteomyelitis subsequent to the initial injury. While this would no doubt have caused some swelling, discoloration, local heat or even a fever and feeling of generalized illness, these don't always happen.

While osteoporosis is the likely culprit, you are doing everything reasonable to move the healing process along. If there is no improvement soon, you might consider getting a second opinion.

Please let us know how things go.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here