News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: 1 year post injury, ankle instability

tcpuccio1 - Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 am

Hello:

I have a question. In June of 2007 I tripped down a flight of stairs and bad bone bruising/stress fractures to the talus and cubiod bones in my left foot. When it first happened It was diagnosed as a bruise/moderate sparin and i wound up walking on it for a month before the root cause was found via an MRI. I was in 2 casts for 7.5 weeks and had PT for a month after wards. My ankle has never felt 100% after this injury and in the past month or so I have had a few instances where my ankle "twists" really easy and wants to buckle. I don't have much pain after these "twisting" events but there is a dull underlying pain on the inside of my leg in the ankle joint it's self just below and forward of the bump in the bone . Also is the joint is torqued the pain is a bit more noticable. I know after any kind of joint injury it's never 100% again but I'm afaid I'm going to twist it again and not be able to catch my self and wind of breaking in. I'm a 39 year old male non smoker in VERY good health just looking for some advice.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:43 pm

User avatar Hello -

Some part of the ankle mechanics isn't working properly. While this may be unavoidable, I can't help but thinking there is some injury or perhaps rupture of a ligament or tendon down there, that's allowing this to happen. Since it would be an old or maybe even progressive injury, that would explain it's not announcing itself before it buckles. I'd definitely have it looked at by an orthopedist to see if there's anything that can be done to set things right, since it's true that if this keeps happening it increases the risk of a re-break or some other related injury due to a twist or resultant fall. No point in going through that if you don't have to, and I strongly suspect you don't. This sounds fixable.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here