News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Possible bruised rib. Pain between lat and oblique

mm66 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 am

7 days ago my room mate and I were horsing around. I ended up getting pushed through the sheet rock wall in kitchen. The next morning I awoke with pain on my right side. The pain lines up PERFECTLY with a lower portion of the hole in the wall that did not give way as much as the rest. Sort of like an obtrusive corner of the hole. There is no visible bruise or discoloration on me. The pain initially seemed like back/lower lat/side pain. I went to my chin up bar and tried to do a chin up. I felt fine free hanging. Upon doing an actual chin up I was able to do about 60%-70% of the exercise before feeling fairly intense pain under my lat and above my oblique. If you were looking a side view of me, I would say the pain is 8 inched below my armpit and 4 inches towards my back from the centerline split of my body (sorry mechanical engineer here). I can complete a chin up and all of my strength is present, but the pain kicks in at the top portion of the exercise.

The pain only kicks up when doing similar movements. While walking it can tend to mildly hurt on the back stroke of my swinging arm. I suppose this movement mimics a seated row style exercise (elbow moving back). It has been a week since the trauma. I ran a mile to the gym and had minor pain similar to when I walk. At the gym I was able to perform chest and bicep workouts with minimal irritation. Any irritation came from movements that slightly resembled something involving a back exercise.

I also feel pain when leaning to my left side, as to stretch my right side. The pain feels like it may be a rib. It feels as though it is under the surface of my skin, yet on top of the bone surface. The pain seems to stay in the same spot, even when my muscles move. It feels as though maybe the muscle are aggravating the rib. My back muscles are pretty large. I rowed crew and also dabble in body building, so I am hoping that it isn't anything muscular. The last thing I want is a major athletic set back (although it would be my own fault). Could it be a bruised rib?

The pain has not become worse, but also has not become much better. I still have similar problems with chin ups, where the pain is present during a portion of the exercise. I have been taking IB profin, and I also iced it for the first time after the gym last night. I don't have much time to get to the dr's. I am just wondering what it could be so I know how to watch what I do and whatnot.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:22 pm

User avatar Hi -

While the pain could be due to a bruised rib, it also could be due to a muscle pull which has not been allowed to heal. It seems you've been busy challenging the injury in a very mechancal engineer kind of way, but any sort of musculoskeletal injury does require rest, and possibly icing as well. Try giving it a break for several days consecutively, icing it for 15 minutes at a stretch (if you can tolerate this), and not challenging it til it seems to have healed. Then start working it out slowly over a couple more days. I realize this could disrupt a training schedule, but if you don't allow it to heal it may become chronically inflamed. A cracked rib actually has less chance of becoming a chronic problem as a rule.

Best of luck to you. I hope this is helpful.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 pm

User avatar I hope you are feeling better! Please keep us updated.

Best regards,
 mm66 - Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 pm

I went 5 weeks without lifting. I have started lifting again, but very slowly. I am really scared to pull it. I haven't been doing any back exercise except for some very light stuff. Is this what I should be doing?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here