News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: recurring neck pain

cristy53079 - Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 am

I have had recurring neck pain for approximately the last year. I first assumed it was a stiff neck, however nothing seems to take the pain away. I have tried pain relievers, hot pads and Icy Hot/BenGay. The pain will last for a week or more and then slowly lessen until it's mostly gone. I get a sharp pulling sensation if I turn my head, bend down or look down. This morning it woke me from a sound sleep when I tried to roll over and put me in tears when I got out of bed. I have had no accidents or whiplash history. Please help!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:48 am

User avatar Hello -

You could have something as simple as a chronic inflammation of a muscle or tendon in your neck, or you could have a cervical nerve root compression causing this. In either case after a year of putting up with it you definitely should see a doctor about this, as it may be simple to resolve or at least to treat, depending on the cause. Some people do have chronic, recurring neck spasms due to either of the above reasons, but there's no need to endure this indefinitely. If you can see an orthopedist first it would be all the better.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here