Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: recurring neck pain

cristy53079 - Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 am

I have had recurring neck pain for approximately the last year. I first assumed it was a stiff neck, however nothing seems to take the pain away. I have tried pain relievers, hot pads and Icy Hot/BenGay. The pain will last for a week or more and then slowly lessen until it's mostly gone. I get a sharp pulling sensation if I turn my head, bend down or look down. This morning it woke me from a sound sleep when I tried to roll over and put me in tears when I got out of bed. I have had no accidents or whiplash history. Please help!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:48 am

You could have something as simple as a chronic inflammation of a muscle or tendon in your neck, or you could have a cervical nerve root compression causing this. In either case after a year of putting up with it you definitely should see a doctor about this, as it may be simple to resolve or at least to treat, depending on the cause. Some people do have chronic, recurring neck spasms due to either of the above reasons, but there's no need to endure this indefinitely. If you can see an orthopedist first it would be all the better.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|