Question: Addiction from Surgeries

rustybones - Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 am

Hello, I have had 3 surgeries in the last couple of years. I now am faced with a pain pill addiction and I am trying so hard to quit taking them. The several times I have tried to quit, i get seriously ill and want to die. This goes on for several days and just seems to get worse, not better. My question is, how do i get off them. I have recently lost my medical insurance and can't even get into see a doctor. I have tried to pay cash but still no help.
(I don't know why the doctors don't feel they have a resposibility to their patient to ween them off the painkillers after the patient has told them about the addiction created by the prescriptions.)
But anyhow, I have gone to the Hospital regarding my problem and the advice nurse informed me that I shouldn't have any problem getting off the opiates and to just "tuff" it out. I have tried.....Please tell me what to do I have never had an addiction to anything my whole life until now. Never even smoked a ciggarette. Please help. My whole life is going down the toilet. I can deal with the physical pain but this addiction is ruining my life.
Thanks, for any advice will be taken and used.
chucktrucker@comcast.net
rustybones
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 pm

This is a common problem and doctors can help you now but without health coverage this may be prohibitive for you. I would look for a substance abuse program through your local health department or mental health agency. These are often available without charge. I am not implying you are deliberately abusing drugs, but it does come under this umbrella. It is important for you to get the support you need. Others have done it and they can help you now. You're right, there could be better assistance with reducing and then eliminating the painkillers through your provider but at this point blaming won't help your situation. Thank you for bringing this serious concern up so others can learn from your experience and providers may also take your recommendation to heart.

Good luck. It is worth the effort.

|