Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Pain & Restless Nights - I Am So Sick Of This!!!

Kat58 - Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:21 pm

I am a 49 yr old female and back in 98 after a year 1/2 of doing repetitive work (med office) I developed Carpal Tunnel along with neck & shoulder pain. I was also diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease at this time. As the years went on my problems not only worsened but I had also developed new ones. I have suffered many sleepness nights due to neck pain, tried many different pillows with no relief, numbness in wrists & hands and arm pain. I am a side sleeper and also experience severe burning in my upper arms so I am constantly switching from one side to the other.

Last year I started to develop symptoms of RLS. My former dr prescribed Requip but it seemed to make things worse so I quit taking it after 2 days. I also experience this same ugly feeling in my arms. I experience mild to moderate RLS during the day but come nighttime it's a lot worse. I toss and turn to the point where I have to get up and sleep on the couch so I don't keep my husband awake. I have tried prescription Ibupofen, Soma, combining ibuprofen & Soma, Naproxen and plain ole asprin. When all these fail I resort to sleeping pills. I am so sick of this every single night and so sick of taking pills. I don't know what to do anymore, all I know is this has got to stop. I am tired most of the time due to lack of sleep and depressed. I am not seeing a doctor at this time, partly because I don't have a one (looking for a new one) and partly because I just can't afford the $45 copay.

I don't know if this goes hand in hand but within the last year or so I have begun to experience what I think are pre menopausal symptoms, irregular periods, occasional night sweats, dry skin, slight hair loss, facial hair on skin and irritability. My former doc did take blood tests but they came back normal. Lately I am constantly hot all of time. It's been very hot where I live so that isn't helping things. And most recently hearing problems where I experience a thumping in my ears. Certain things can trigger this such as noise from the tv or when listening on the phone, cell phones are the worst so I try to avoid them.

Anyway, right now my main concern is the DD & RLS.... would it be better to seek out a neurologist for treatment or should I see a different type of doctor?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 pm

User avatar Thanks for your patience.

It would be good to find a primary care physician who is known for his or her thoroughness and compentency in the areas you describe.

It would be worthwhile to screen for hypothyroidism which can cause many of your symptoms including restless legs. Also, do you suffer from migraines? Migraine can have extra symptoms like depression, cold sensation and thumping in ears.

Regarding the DDD, it will be important to engage in a regular exercise program including stretching. A physical therapist can help with the neck and arm exercises. Cervical traction may also help.

An easy carpal tunnel exercise:while resting forearm on a table or the thigh, do wrist extensions holding a light dumbell (< 5lb) until posterior forearm muscle fatigues...daily for 4 weeks. If pain then stop. Squeezing exercises eg squeezing a ball are always contraindicated with carpal tunnel.

Keep us posted.

|