Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: lower back pain!!!

machela85 - Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:09 pm

I am 19 years old, with constant lower back pain. :x When I was about five or seven years old, i fell off a hamock, and landed on cement blocks on my lower back. For a few seconds I couldn't get up, I guess I couldn't move my legs. I eventually got up, but didn't mention this to anyone. Do you think the fall I had years ago is affecting me now? What do u recommend I do?[color=red][/color][/b]
 Dr. A. Saif - Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:52 pm

User avatar Hi Machela,

Your lower back pain can be due to a number of things, and included in that is of course pain related to an old injury. To determine if this is the case requires a more detailed history, however and preferably an examination. I would recommend this...however, as we are here to try and help here are a few things one can think about...

You say that the pain is constant.
1) How long have you had it? Ever since this injury aged 5, or did it come on sometime later? If the former, it is possible that the injury is releted to your pain.
2) What makes it worse...if movements of the back it worse, but rest helps it, then it is possible that the pain is mechanical in nature. Do you think it is realted to the job that you do?
3) Where exactly is it...can you out a finger on a tender spot? Young adults can get sacro-iliitis, which may be the couse of pain and sometimes this is associated with other problems, e.g. tummy problems, or gynae problems...do you have any abdominal, pelvic pains? Some causes of back pain are things like fibromyalgia...this causes multiple focal tender luimops in the back.
4) Does the pain go anywhere else? Pain going into your groin, or abdominal or varying in intensity, that comes and goes without warning, and that is not affected by rest of exercise may suggest a problem not related to your back at all. Pian radiating down your leg and associated with numbness, pins and needles, and weakness may be related to a prolapsed disc...although this is less likely at your age.
5) etc...we could go on...

But as to whether it could be related to your injury as a child... the answer is yes. You say you couldn't walk for a few seconds....a few seconds is quite a short time actually, and I will presume this represents just the shock of the fall rather than an actual transient neurological functional loss. We can discuss these options further if you wish, but it is impossible to wade through the enormous number of possible causes of back pains...a visit to your doctr may help...but a large number of patients with low back pain can remain unexplained....

Regrds

Saif
 onyx - Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:41 am

I have had lower back pain for some time now.When I do yard work,or bend over I have severe pain and burning in lower back. I then immediatly get these knots that are about the size of golf balls that pop up in the lower back by the spine area.When I sit for short amounts of time it is hard to straighten up,I have to stay leaned over till I can work my back straight,it burns and has lower pain.
 Vampero - Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:00 pm

Ok this is my problem...
about a few months back(cant really rember when)I felt nervous in my chest then early last month I started to have servere back pains...
Its down in the middle of my back,also ive had symptoms of weakness in my leggs and arms,headaches,uncontroable nervousness,stomach aches...
So is this a herniated disk?..

PS.I am a 18 year old male
 Vampero - Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:38 pm

can anyone help me out

|