Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Leg/Back Pain Continously Getting Worse

Bam - Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:56 pm

I am a 29 y/o male 5' 11" 196 lbs. I have had two lower back surgeries. First surgery was just a lower fusion of L4-5 in 1989. Second surgery (2005) was a full laminectomy, bilateral decompression of the L5 and S1 nerve roots, instrument fusion L5 and S1 using 4565 screws, transforaminal interbody fusion completing 360 degree fusion through the same posterior infusion, posterior lateral fusion using DVX allograft and local bone. Coming around to 2008 I have had alot of back pain and severe leg pain. I have gone through all types of PT, NSAIDS, at home treatment therapy. The pain continued to become worse where it would take me 20-30 minutes to move in the mornings and get out of bed. Now going through pain managment 7 months to date. Ended up having a Medtronics spinal stimulator permanently implanted, after all other types of injections/nerve blocks etc. were performed and no relief was sustained. The implant worked great on my back pain and although did not take away 100% of the back pain it has made daily life more manageable. I am now on 10/325 Percosets 6 a day. And 30mg of oral morphine 3 times a day. As of now that makes things manageable. The leg pain is affecting my work and home life gradually. I have had nerve conduction studies done all came back fine. CT's came back fine. I don't feel normal 7 out of 10 days. My leg pain still continues to get worse ( a feeling of dead weight with occasional numbness/tingling with no diagnosis and increasingly becoming more opioid tolerant to my meds. My feet stay ice cold and almost purple alot. Also had a CT recently and nothing showed up. My eating habits change all the time. Bowels are never regulated sometimes I go once a day most days it 3-4 times a day. Have a feeling of fatigue, joint pain in my knees. I get stomach cramps mild chest pain on occasion. Climbing stairs is the worst. I am now starting to have uncontroled muscle twitching in my left arm and leg. My legs feel like dead weight and that they are going to explode. Any suggestions or comments on what might else that I should look into as to what else might be causing my leg pain so I can begin to feeling normal again and being able to get off narcotics completely if I can feel normal without having to take anything anymore. Thanks for taking the time to read this A~
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 pm

I would suggest you may have developed some form of neuropathy due either to the original problem or the surgeries, but you state your nerve conduction studies have been normal, which doesn't square with the symptoms. At this point the symptoms are so severe that you are unable to function normally, so the only thing I can think of is to suggest you get a second opinion, since something is obviously being missed.

I wish I could give you something more, but the puzzle pieces really don't fit together well and I have to guess someone has missed something. Fresh eyes may be give you the best chance of getting better.

Best of luck to you.
 mizzybe21 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:30 pm

The last snow storm we had I slipped and fell on my driveway, The pain didn't come right away but about a week later and It feels like it is in my hip going down m leg it hurts to sit and walk. I went to the emergancy room and they really didn't do much for me just said it was probly my sciatic and proscribed me 15 perks. When I took the perks the pain would kinda go away and I could feel a clicking feeling in my back. I also get a really sharp pain in my knee. But all in all it feels like my hip is dislocated like it needs to be popped back in place. this is really painful and is preventing me form living my daily life... its been more than a month please help....
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Sounds like this may be in the hip joint or sacroiliac joint. I would consider having a physical therapist or chiropractor evaluating the back and hip and see if indeed one of the joints in out of place.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|