News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: persistant pain for injured ankle - possible fracture?

agiedolphin823 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:17 pm

I am a 27 year old female and about 6 weeks ago while out walking around the neighborhood for our relay for life time I stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle. Right after it happened the foot and ankle were swollen and difficult to walk/stand on. The following day I visited the ER and the major area of pain was the outside of the foot so the foot was x-rayed and I was diagnosed with a foot sprain. Rest and use of crutches reduced pain in the foot but then I realized there was also pain in the ankle that has persisted. I have pain all the time that worsens with standing, walking (especially uneven terrain) and any pressure on the outside of the ankle including if I sit crosslegged and it sits on the floor. Is it possible that there is a fracture that wasn't diagnosed when it was first checked? Sorry this is so long but I started back to school a few weeks ago and walking across campus isn't fun.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

While it is possible there is a fracture that was missed on the first pass, it is unlikely. More probably you have some residual inflammation, possible of a tendon or ligament, left over from the twist of the ankle and foot. (I winced just reading about that). Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (ibuprofin, naprosyn) and resting the extremity as often as practical (keeping it elevated when possible) and icing occasionally, may cause it to heal. Of course, if the pain increases or any swelling develops late, you should go to an ER or acute care facility and have it re-checked. It does sound as though you suffered a pretty severe sprain with some lingering inflammation due to failure to rest the foot/ankle long enough for it to heal.

And don't sit cross-legged on the floor for the time being!

Hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here