Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: BACK PROBLEM BY STAPH INFECTION?

ragu - Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:56 pm

my husband was fine with no back related problems what so ever.
about 4 months ago he developed a bad staph infection in his right shin which he did take a anitbiotic perscribed to him, well within less then 2 weeks his lower back started hurting badly along with his whole right leg having shooting pains running down and within that short amout of time he is now having very limited movement and alot of prescribed drugs.
he has gone to alot of doctors and now at a orthopedic doctor who has said he has a total of 2 degenerated discs and 3+ herniated discs in his lower back, which he has had the epidural 2 times with no help from them, his next procedure they are saying is surgery to clean up the discs.
but he is only 25, with no prior problems in his back.
also his lower belly under his bellybutton is always feeling like its bruised all this time.
now this week all of a sudden he has the start of another staph infection on his knee on that same right leg.
i think its coincidence that all that has kept to that right leg and with no prior problems and now another start of a staph infection.
what is the chances that this is somthing related to a staph infection not a herniated disc, and this be misdiagnosed???? any help you can provide would be great he is in alot of pain.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 pm

I agree this sounds like a complete coincidence, as there is little to nothing that would conncect the disc deneration and the staph infections. The lower back problem didn't happen overnight, although it doesn't become apparent until it reaches a certain critical point. People often say "I never had this before", and all one can say in response to that is "You have it now." Most such conditions, especially degenerative ones, do take a long time to develop, while a staph infection can literally develop overnight.

The staph infection of course will need not only to be treated, but there will have to be some effort to determine how your husband has managed to catch this twice, or at least have it recur (it may not have been fully eradicated the first time).

The lower back problem will require very different therapy, and may well require surgery. While it's fairly unusual for someone so young to have such advanced disk disease, it is a defined, distinct medical entity, and it does happen. Hopefully this will be managed with minimal problem, and he will be back to full functionality quickly. The staph infection will have to be cleared up first, of course.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to your husband. Please keep us updated.
 justme79 - Tue May 05, 2009 1:35 pm

I hope I can explain this to you better than I understand it..
I am only 29 and never had back problems. I got up one morning mid- January and my back hurt bad, thought I slept wrong. By that evening I was in tears. I finally gave up trying to sleep, I had taken the 800 MG of motrin plus the 1000 Mg of tylenol that you can take at a time. SO I had all the pain medicine I could take and still hurt so bad I couldn't stand it.
Next day went to chiropractor at 2:30.
I couldn't eat or drink anything I was in so much pain so I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before. he has me do these tests. Stand up bend this way and that way, then go in for X-Ray and some other tests I had never had done. Never had been to a chiropractor before.He tells me that I have 5 herniated disks, yeah 5!
He says it will take a few visits to fix it. hooks me up to a tens unit, then adjusts my back. Now I am having to walk out of his office on my tip toes because I can't put my feet flat, barely able to move my feet. I finally get to the jeep and sit down and it hit me. Spasms so fierce I could not move! He went in and told hubby I needed something for pain and the doctor said no pain meds. we didn't make it 3 minutes down the road before hubby was calling 911. they got there and called another ambulance to help. They had to use the seat to get me out because I couldn't move! So after morphine and getting the seat ready they got me in the ambulance.THey wouldn't even try to move me without something for pain.The man in the ambulance gave me morphine a couple of times before we got to the hospital to keep from from screaming in pain. I was scared to take it at first but hurt so bad I couldn't say no.The hospital was packed and my pain meds wore off, so back to screaming.They finally bring me more pain meds, carry me for tests.
At 11 that eveningI am in ER hallway because there are no rooms left. Doctor shows up, they had to call in a specialist, he okays me eating thank goodness. They get me in a room, in the kiddy ward beacause they didn't have another room open! Not that I knew. After eating I was out. My husband sat beside me the whole time pushing my morphine button so I wouldn't wake up in misery. The few times I woke up I do not remember. I did get up after about a week, couldn't eat since I went without for a week. So they had my specialist come in to talk to me. I had to eat, they would bring me whatever I wanted as long as they had it in the hospital all I had to do was ask for it.
He tells me I have MRSA the staph infection. It was on the inside not the outside. It caused another infection, then an infection in my heart, and to top it off I had menegitis. After all the meds I had a type of anemia where my blood stops making hemoglobins so I had to have a transfusion as well.
So i was in the kiddy ward a little over a week, then moved to the heart ward for the rest of my stay which was almost a month.
Then I got to go home. I was still on IV for about 2 months,then I get more news. the infection ate at some things in my back and has caused something to seperate causing it pain. That last part I have yet to figure out, been trying but not getting anywhere. Am still seeing doctors for it. So I do think MRSA can cause lots of damage, they told me when an infection is that bad it can eat away your bones and ligament.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 07, 2009 4:10 pm

User avatar Thank you for the post.
 spirit-of-shiloh - Tue May 12, 2009 5:53 am

MRSA...I hate that word. My husband was a Chiropractor for 32 years. He then got dementia,parkinsons,then fell last 2005 and broke his hip.He was 67 at the time. He spent a month in the hosp. and re-hab. He came home and was walking with the aid of a walker.He also had bed sores on both heels and low back from the hosp. Then one day he couldn't walk anymore and his sores would not heal. He also had diabetis so the docs said it was diabetic sores. Well,after tests he was dx'd with MRSA. He was given a pick line and I gave him dailyI V's of Vancomycin. He would screem in pain that his back hurt so he was put on the Fentynal patch. Then he went septic...twice. Rushed to the hosp. then sent home. Finally,his veins collasped and he needed a line in his neck so he went to a skilled nursing home. He passed May,21,07.:( He had too many medical problems and the MRSA won. Please don't take it lightly,I believe it does cause back pain as he was in agony. I do hope you get better. You are young so you can fight it. For my husband,he just didn't have the fight anymore. Spirit
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 pm

User avatar Thank you for the post.

|