Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back and ribcage pain.

Melzz - Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Since Last Week I have had lower back pain. After one day the pain headed towards my right side and when i walked it hurt even more.. Now I have my ribcage with the pain. and everytime i take deep breaths my left and right sides start to hurt. The pain feels like im bruised all over those areas. now my back has gotten better. it is just my ribcage and sides that continue to hurt. My doctor told me i have a flu in my mucles and he presribed me "Catafast" and a cream to rub in my skin where is needed.
The pain still continues.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

This pain could be due to a muscle spasm from viral infection as your doctor mentioned. It is usually accompanied with low grade fever and nausea.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain and can also be of an unidentified cause. Inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work aggravates the condition.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of Analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

Another likely cause is pleurisy.Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, which is a double-layered membrane, covers the lungs separating it from the rib cage. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy. The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

The condition is also treated with rest, analgesics, and plenty of fluids.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.

|