News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Jones Fracture Swelling

Leslie78 - Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:50 pm

I was diagnosed with a Jones Fracture in my left foot. I was in a cast for 5 weeks and just got the walking boot yesterday which I am to wear for 4 weeks. Today my ankle and toes have swollen very badly and there is a lot more pain. Is this normal? Do I need to contact my doctor or should I treat this at home somehow?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:58 pm

User avatar Hi there -

A Jones fracture can be a really difficult thing to deal with. Most of them heal without surgery, but it can take up to eight weeks. The swelling and pain you're experiencing is very likely due to the freedom from the regular cast and transition to a walking cast, which not only takes away some restriction (and so allows swelling) but also allows you to place weight on the foot, which also encourages pain and swelling.

If things don't improve in a week or two, let your doctor know, as it may not be healing properly. About one quarter of all Jones fractures wind up having to be repaired surgically. The area doen't have a real good blood supply to begin with, which makes things more problematic. That plus the weight bearing issue can slow healing or sometimes prevent it.

To put a positive slant on this, odds are 3:1 that it will heal without surgery. It does take some time, though. If the swelling becomes severe or if the pain becomes unmanageable, by all means let your doctor know. Otherwise, it sounds as though it's following a fairly typical course so far.

I hope this is helpful. Please try to be patient with the injury and hopefully it will start to improve soon. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here