News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broke ribs in past. 2 ys later and pain.

cauthen2 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:01 pm

I am a personal trainer and know by body pretty well so if there are any specific questions I can more than likely answer them appropiately. I have been in the gym for ten years now and Im currently 27 and in good shape. 2 years ago I was in a bench press competition and was pressing 405LBS and I press the weight but when I went to rack it I was a little off and it fell over a foot back down on me somewhere around the sterum.. I was rushed to ER and got X rays and they pumped fluid through me to check for internal bleeding. They said I broke 3 ribs on the left side (hence I must have been off when racking on the left side and it was the first side to go and also the first side to hit..) It popped them right under my left arm although the bar hit me on the sterum. I took off for two months from the gym and it really hadnt hurt much since but now when im doing pull ups or laying on it, it becomes very tender and hurts to the touch.. I can even feel it when Im just walking around breathing.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 am

User avatar Thanks for your patience.
History of left rib fractures (2yrs ago) which the area is now painfull with deep breathing, pull ups, and recumbency on left side.
I would recommend a chest and rib xray to start.
Then a physical therapist or chiropractor or osteopath may examine the rib cage manually to see if one of the ribs is dyslocated and do any appropriate treatment.
May also consider an intercostal muscle strain / sprain as source of pain.
In any case see family physician who can write appropriate orders and referrals.
Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here