News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: herniated discs causing nerve block in wrist

estee - Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:19 pm

I woke up in the middle of the night and had found my hand had fallen asleep, but 4 days later it has not changed. I have several herniations in my cervical and lumbar discs, stenosis throughout in the spinal canal and neural foramenae. I had also broke the radius bone and tore the scapho-lunate ligament in 2001. I'm unable to extend my wrist up, the muscles won't work and I have numbness in my thumb and the top of my hand to the ring finger. I'm also unable to fully open my hand when holding it up. I originally thought the problem was originating in my wrist, but through my own massage and 2 second stetching I found a knot like bump just below my lower deltoid traversing the tricep. Could this be ruminating from my neck or shoulder? I'm perplexed and unsure of what to do. Am I in danger of muscle atrophy? Thank you for your help, I look forward to your input.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm

User avatar Thanks for your inquiry and for your patience.
The knot near the deltoid could be a reaction to neck or shoulder symptoms. Nerve impingement in or near the spinal canal can cause numbness, tingling, weakness and pain in the limb(s). From cervical stenosis, there may also result ataxia (stumbling gait).
It would be beneficial to see a physiatrist who can do an EMG and nerve conduction velocity test to evaluate the status of the nerves leading from the cervical spine to and through the arm muscles. This would also help differentiate if the hand symptoms are from a local (hand) problem or referred from the cervical spine area.
Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here