Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: herniated discs causing nerve block in wrist

estee - Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:19 pm

I woke up in the middle of the night and had found my hand had fallen asleep, but 4 days later it has not changed. I have several herniations in my cervical and lumbar discs, stenosis throughout in the spinal canal and neural foramenae. I had also broke the radius bone and tore the scapho-lunate ligament in 2001. I'm unable to extend my wrist up, the muscles won't work and I have numbness in my thumb and the top of my hand to the ring finger. I'm also unable to fully open my hand when holding it up. I originally thought the problem was originating in my wrist, but through my own massage and 2 second stetching I found a knot like bump just below my lower deltoid traversing the tricep. Could this be ruminating from my neck or shoulder? I'm perplexed and unsure of what to do. Am I in danger of muscle atrophy? Thank you for your help, I look forward to your input.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm

User avatar Thanks for your inquiry and for your patience.
The knot near the deltoid could be a reaction to neck or shoulder symptoms. Nerve impingement in or near the spinal canal can cause numbness, tingling, weakness and pain in the limb(s). From cervical stenosis, there may also result ataxia (stumbling gait).
It would be beneficial to see a physiatrist who can do an EMG and nerve conduction velocity test to evaluate the status of the nerves leading from the cervical spine to and through the arm muscles. This would also help differentiate if the hand symptoms are from a local (hand) problem or referred from the cervical spine area.
Keep us posted.

|