Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Chronic Neck pain Possibly Extra Rib

hidalgoh54 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:15 am

I was just wondering what a radiology report means when it says incidental right cervical rib noted? I have severe neck and upper back pain and now more recently my right arm went weak. I am wondering if this means that I have an extra rib and if this is what could be causing my problems. Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I don't know the percentage of the population, but an "incidental" cervical rib is not uncommon and can cause a lot of discomfort and sometimes limit range of motion. It is an unintended extra, vestigial rib on the posterior part of the upper thorax, seemingly coming off the cervical spine. It can cause a lot of symptoms similar to those caused by thoracic outlet syndrome, and certainly could account for your symptoms. Usually it is either treated symptomatically or, failing at that, can be removed surgically.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|