Question: bump or lump on ulna

lorrieu - Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 am

I have a bump on my ulna 1/2 way from wrist to elbow. It is hard and on the bone does not move about the size of an acorn. first noticed about 2 weekds ago size of pea and sore feeling like bruised skin but NO bruised skin and don't remember injuring myself in that area. Sore to touch, lean on etc.. Should i be concerned?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Due to the rather rapid development of this bump, which seems to be on the bone, with some initial soreness, I strongly suspect it to be a ganglion (or "bible") cyst. These are of little medical concern other than the possible appearance of deformity and sometimes pain or bumping into objects.

These cysts often appear to be attached to the adjacent bone but are actually on a tendon (tissue which connects muscle to bone). They can be soft or hard, and are sometimes immovable during normal, non-violent attempts at manipulation.

Ganglion cysts earned their nickname of "bible" cysts because the old home remedy was to strike the cyst with a book (preferably a bible) to rupture it. This is no longer accepted nor recommended. They can be neatly and successfully drained by needle aspiration with some local chilling or other local anesthetic. They are prone to recur but may not just was easily.

I think this is the most likely explanation for your bump. See a doctor, who most likely will be able to diagnose this for what it is and probably aspirate it right in the office.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with this. Please follow up with us as needed.

|