Question: 6yr old boy, swollen slightly above elbow, no bruising

darthtadorswife - Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi, my son fell about four feet out of a tree yesterday, cried for about 45 mins - an hour, refused to move it until 30 mins after medicine was administered. I have had to give tylenol and ibuprofen constant since yesterday. He fell directly on his elbow, no other part of his body broke his fall. There is only one tiny bruise near the "tip" of his bent elbow. It is obviously swollen compared to his other arm, however its not red or bruised. He has most of his function and actually played hard with it yesterday, sliding, swinging running around. Today, his body temp is slightly elevated, 99.2. I know thats near the normal range but his normal range is around 97.3. I have observed him today, he plays normally for the most part, he can dress himself, takes him a little longer as he manueuvers his arm. He just doesn't seem to be in extreme pain. I tried to touch it and move it in his sleep and he jerks awake and says "ouch" but falls back asleep.

When looking at him directly, if his arms are outstretched, with his elbows slightly bent and his palms towards the sky, HIS left arm is swollen compared to the other elbow towards his body only. Nothing on the outside of his arm, and it seems to be slightly above the elbow joint, maybe 1 to 2 fingers width.

If he wasn't running an elevated temp, I would just not worry about it, but I don't want to underestimate the injury.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 pm

The fact that there is swelling just above the elbow suggests the possibility of a "greenstick" fracture. These happen quite a lot in young children, and are due to the resilient nature of their bones. Often they are not treated, although sometimes they are immobilized to ensure proper healing. There is no deformity other than possible swelling, and usually not much to do other than manage the generallly mild-to-moderate pain. Still, an x-ray should be taken to determine if this is in fact the case, and if so, to determine if it should be immobilized.

Even if there is such a fracture the child usualy tolerates it pretty well after the initial trauma, but it still warrants a look, especially when the potential fracture is near a joint (in this case the elbow), as this can sometimes cause some misalignment which might cause problems later on.

I hope this answers your question. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 markopolo - Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:26 pm

i donno if im in the right place for this but

i have a friend called daniel and hes going to be 14 this year and
he is about 5 foot 7 or may be 8

could u tell me if it ok for a boy to be that tall at the age of 13?

please reply as soon as u can
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 am

User avatar Hi there --

Yes, your friend would seem to be well within normal limits, height-wise, for his age.
 markopolo - Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:56 am

hi this is a big question

about 3years ago when i was 10 i fell down from a high place it was like as nearly as big as the lamp posts on the streets

and i fell down from it on me left side i didnt start to cry n me bone didnt broke n when my mum took me to the doctor's and they x -rayed it
and
they said that my bone is tottaly fine and they said that it might hurt a little if i lift something up but didnt

when me family moved to houses i lifted a realy heavy box up and my bone didnt hurt n i didnt start to feel that me hand getting sore

please explain this
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 pm

If I understand this correctly, you fell from a 8-10 foot height onto your left side. X-rays were negative. No pain with movement and activities.
The question is why did not something break or hurt???

If I am correct in my understanding, I would say that is just the way the boy bounces.

Good to hear nothing was broken or injured.

|