Question: SMALL Non-union in Scaphoid.

jwalsh10 - Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi, I am 20 years old and broke my scaphoid around February/March of this year. From the X-rays and ct scan it is a non union. My problem is that it is a VERY tiny piece at the proximal end that is broken off, so the doctor is sending me to a specialist. I am just wondering what type of options I have, I would like to eventually get my full strength and range of motion back in my wrist, but will that ever be possible? And what type of surgery do you think they will suggest? Is is possible for my wrist to heal with such a small break? I don't think a bone graph or pins will be an option. The one doctor said I might have to just leave it until it really starts bugging me and then they will remove the piece since it is so small. But then I will have pseudoarthrits. If this is the case what is the severity of the arthrits? Hand deforming? Unable to flex at all? Anyways I do have a cd with the CT scan and xray that I could send if needed. Thanks for your time.
-Johnny
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 pm

User avatar Hi jwalsh10,
Non-union of the scaphoid bone essentially means nonhealing. There is a small amount of blood supply to that particular area and if too little blood is received in the fractured area the bone will not heal properly. An orthopedic specialist is exactly whom you need to see as that can identify the precise course of action required in your case. Some examples of treatment options in non-unions may include pin or screw fixation unless there is necrosis (death of the bone) which in that case a bone graft is a possible recommendation. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Best wishes.

|