Question: Damaged knuckle?

StarFishMermaid - Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi i hit the wall with my fist 2 days ago and since then my knuckle has been slightly swollen and when i touch it it feels as if something's grating inside...like a gravelly sensation- also when i move my finger. I can move my hand and fingers fine and its not agony just a little sore with movement. Have i done some damage to my knuckle?? what should i do to fix it?? Too embarrassed to go to the hospital !! Some advice would be great thanks :)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:27 pm

This probably warrants a visit to the doctor or an acute care walk-in clinic, since it sounds as though you may have done some damage to the bursa in the joint or caused some other damage. It may not be especially worrisome right now, and it may well resolve on its own, but if it doesn't it could result in permanent irritation and eventually require far more than the simple care it may need right now. Since I can't see it or feel it, let alone x-ray it, I can't in good conscience tell you to just ice it and wait to see what happens. Hopefully it's fine, and the fine details of how you came to punch a wall really aren't essential information.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. John K Aviani - Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Yes, Dr. Kenyon is correct you would benefit to going to your primary care physician or your local Emergency Department for an x-ray. For now I would ice it constantly to slow down the swelling. If it continues to hurt with movement I would prefer you to take you appropriate low dose pain killer like Advil which is an Ibuprofen supplement. If you do so,follow correct dosage instructions or contact your doctor just to be sure. Please do not be embarrassed about your nucleus or any medical condition you may have because as an orthopedic physician I see a lot of interesting cases.

|