Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Fractured kneecap or torn ACL

adair0326 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:08 am

Sir/Ma'am,

About two months ago I felt a weird/stinging sensation in my knee while exercising outside. I noticed it didn't really hurt and I can still walk, bike, and do some running on it. The next day while trying to do some leg extensions I noticed it really hurt to extend my left leg. Not only that, I noticed a small piece of my outer left kneecap raise a little to the point that it is noticeable. I looked at my right kneecap and it doesn't do the same thing. While researching online, It sounded like I have a fractured kneecap. Like I mentioned earlier, there is no pain walking, jogging, biking, elliptical, or even doing a light run. Only when I extend with weights, or while sitting down with no weights. My questions is how serious is this? If I do need to get surgery how long can I wait?

R/

Erik
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

User avatar Sorry about the delayed response.
How is the knee?
I would recommend a knee xray with a sunrise view of the patella (kneecap) to rule out fracture. The mechanism of injury would likely not cause a fracture. The proturbance of the knee cap during knee extension could have been from swelling or mal aligned patella.
Knee extension exercises with an acute patella injury are always contraindicated.
Let us know how it turns out.
 adair0326 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 am

Thank you for the response. I am curently deployed, do you think it is something that can wait, or get it checked now?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:33 am

User avatar Typically, a fractured kneecap will not allow you to run or exercise. If the condition is worsening and keeping you from doing your job, then certainly have it checked out.

Take care and keep us posted.
 adair0326 - Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Thank you, I appreciate it.

|