News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Fractured kneecap or torn ACL

adair0326 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:08 am

Sir/Ma'am,

About two months ago I felt a weird/stinging sensation in my knee while exercising outside. I noticed it didn't really hurt and I can still walk, bike, and do some running on it. The next day while trying to do some leg extensions I noticed it really hurt to extend my left leg. Not only that, I noticed a small piece of my outer left kneecap raise a little to the point that it is noticeable. I looked at my right kneecap and it doesn't do the same thing. While researching online, It sounded like I have a fractured kneecap. Like I mentioned earlier, there is no pain walking, jogging, biking, elliptical, or even doing a light run. Only when I extend with weights, or while sitting down with no weights. My questions is how serious is this? If I do need to get surgery how long can I wait?

R/

Erik
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

User avatar Sorry about the delayed response.
How is the knee?
I would recommend a knee xray with a sunrise view of the patella (kneecap) to rule out fracture. The mechanism of injury would likely not cause a fracture. The proturbance of the knee cap during knee extension could have been from swelling or mal aligned patella.
Knee extension exercises with an acute patella injury are always contraindicated.
Let us know how it turns out.
 adair0326 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 am

Thank you for the response. I am curently deployed, do you think it is something that can wait, or get it checked now?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:33 am

User avatar Typically, a fractured kneecap will not allow you to run or exercise. If the condition is worsening and keeping you from doing your job, then certainly have it checked out.

Take care and keep us posted.
 adair0326 - Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Thank you, I appreciate it.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here