News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Toes in Feet bone Shrinkage?

Firoozeh - Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 am

My Grandmothers bones in her feet toes seem to have shrunken and gotten narrower..to the point where she is in extreme pain and her weight cannot hold her up...and allow her to walk.

What is the problem here?

It just suddenly happened. Her toes gotten alot smaller.
 Firoozeh - Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 am

my grand mom suddenly in a lot of pain in the legs,and she can not walk any more,and her bone in leg suddenly became soooooooo thin,like some thing eating her bones,what is this ,is it bone cancer,she is75 years old,please let me know i am worry for her thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:33 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is very difficult to tell what your grandmother’s problem could be without direct clinical examination.
It would be also more useful if you can provide us more information about her personal history, medical history, current medications and relevant past history.

This picture could be due to muscle atrophy and weakness.
This is usually seen when there is due a neurovascular defect.

If she has diabetes mellitus, a common cause for bilateral symmetrical distal neuropathy (polyneuropathy) and weakness due to defective nerve supply to the peripheral parts of the body including the muscles although late in the course of the disease after sensory neuropathy.

She might have also vascular problems which are common at her age; this might add to the muscle weakness.

This would predispose her to more complications due to immobility like serious infections and DVT.

Other causes like disuse atrophy if she is bedridden for long period, bone or skeletal diseases or malignancies are also possible.

If it is of an acute onset causes like infections (e.g.myositis), drug induced including steroids, and other metabolic abnormalities should be excluded.

I would advise you to follow up with her doctor, direct clinical (especially neurological) examination is essential.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here