News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ACL Tear - possible to play soccer with brace?

DFinFin - Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:47 pm

I tore my ACL for the second time last week while playing in a soccer game, which was confirmed per an MRI also acquired last week. At this point I do not have a surgery scheduled because my soccer coach (college) is trying to convince me to play in the playoffs with a brace, and hold off on surgery until after the season is over being that this is my last college season. Is this insanity? What are the risks associated with trying to play with a torn ACL? I watched the quaterback of the University of Oregon play in a playoff game with a torn ACL and a brace...he didn't last long until he tore it completely and was OUT. I am not asking someone to make a decision for me, I just would appreciate some frank no BS advice. Thank you for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 am

User avatar How did things turn out?
I would not have recommended playing on a acutely deficient ACL.
 DFinFin - Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:15 pm

I didn't play in the playoffs and as it turned out that was probably just as well...I had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago and as it turns out the acl had a complete tear, the sutures holding the replacement cadaver ACL from my last surgery were completely ripped out, and my lateral meniscus had a pretty significant tear.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 pm

User avatar Thanks for the reply. All the best to you during rehab.
 Dr. mnermis - Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Playing contact sports without ACl have great risk for meniscal tears. alot of published study showed that playing with ACL more three months have great risk especially medial meniscus.

Because ACL prevents anterior translation and gives rotational stability of the knee and if you continue to play with ACL deficient knee, meniscal komponents will take place for transational stability. After little time later tears will be shown especially at the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

Lateral meniscal tears are more than the medial for acute ACL rupture, but medial meniscal tears are more than lateral for chronic ACL rupture. Chronic rupture means more than 3 months after injury.

I recommend you that if you want to play more than one season go to your doctor.
If you want to finish this season without surgery, only play realy important games not all.
Save your knee, you need it more.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here