Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Knee pain - second opinion

kevschmi - Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I am a 35 yr old male. I am in law enforcement and twisted my knee during an incident. My left knee was pulled inwards and ended up twisting. My MRI indicated a possible partial ACL tear and possible meniscus tear on the outside of my left knee. I had an arthroscopy done which the doctor said that nothing was wrong. It has been 4 months since the incident and 1 month since the arthroscopy. I have knee pain on the ouside of my left knee still with aching. I cannot bend past 90 degrees without having sever pain and my knee buckling. I am asking my doctor for a second opinion.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? My knee is not the same as it was before the incident and the pain is not normal. Please help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:22 pm

User avatar Possible problems are bone bruise. Subchondral (below the cartiledge) may be bruised. This would cause pain with weight bearing - including flexion beyond 90 degrees. The buckling may be from the pain rather than structurally unstable joint. If the structures of the knee internally and externally are sound then rehab should be effective.

Bone bruises take a long time to heal.

Also synovitis which is inflamation of the inside lining of the joint is a possibility. This would have been noticed during the scope.

A bone bruise would not respond to intraarticular (inside the joint) steroid injection whereas synovitis may.

Second opionion is your choice.

|