News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Knee pain - second opinion

kevschmi - Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I am a 35 yr old male. I am in law enforcement and twisted my knee during an incident. My left knee was pulled inwards and ended up twisting. My MRI indicated a possible partial ACL tear and possible meniscus tear on the outside of my left knee. I had an arthroscopy done which the doctor said that nothing was wrong. It has been 4 months since the incident and 1 month since the arthroscopy. I have knee pain on the ouside of my left knee still with aching. I cannot bend past 90 degrees without having sever pain and my knee buckling. I am asking my doctor for a second opinion.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? My knee is not the same as it was before the incident and the pain is not normal. Please help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:22 pm

User avatar Possible problems are bone bruise. Subchondral (below the cartiledge) may be bruised. This would cause pain with weight bearing - including flexion beyond 90 degrees. The buckling may be from the pain rather than structurally unstable joint. If the structures of the knee internally and externally are sound then rehab should be effective.

Bone bruises take a long time to heal.

Also synovitis which is inflamation of the inside lining of the joint is a possibility. This would have been noticed during the scope.

A bone bruise would not respond to intraarticular (inside the joint) steroid injection whereas synovitis may.

Second opionion is your choice.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here