Question: possible broken toe untreated pain spreading to my knee

kwazy4u24 - Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 pm

I think I broke my toe it was swollen i couldn't walk on it my big toe that is, and it was slightly crooked. my whole foot was swollen. after 6 weeks im still in pain and often have burning in the toe. Pain has spread to first my ankel and now all the way up to my knee. I don't have insurance and only want to go to a doctor if it is life threating.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:15 pm

While the problem is unlikely to become life-threatening (though it's not impossible for that to happen), the permanent damage potential is great enough that the thing really does need proper medical attention. What you'll need to do is either go to an emergency room (where they're required to treat you regardless of your ability to pay) and/or find a doctor who will work with you on a sliding scale or some similar arrangement (and many are willing to do this rather than let someone just walk around in pain or halfway maimed, which is how this sounds at this point). Trut me, the future pain and disability this could cause you isn't worth holding back because of the inability to pay. Like you said, if it were life-threatening you'd find a way to deal with it; Well there are things almost as bad, and a painful lifelong physical problem (and potentially worse), can make life hardly worth living. The big toe is especially crucial to our ability to walk and maneuver (you'd probably be surprised except that by now you're probably realizing this). So please, try and find a way to get this taken care of, as it's pretty clear there's a break and it's going to heal wrong and cause lots of problems in the future. I'm sorry it happened, but hopefully this will get taken care of and you can move on. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us.

|