News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Four-level discotomy - Allograft vs Autograft

tbrody - Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:47 pm

I had a three-level discotomy last March that failed due to a collapsed bone graft. The surgury used bone from hip as graft material

I am now seeing a different surgeon who is going to perform a four-lever procedure in December.

I prefer the bone from my hip (both medical and personal reasons). However, the new doctor refuses because he claims there is no defference in success rates (maybe 1% he says) between hip bone and bone bank material. He also says since bone was taken in the first surgery "there is not enough bone left in my hip" to use this time. Both of these goes contrary to what I have read in my research (autograft has better success rate and there is enough bone in the hip to do many procedures - if nothing else, why not harvest the bone from the other hip?).

I consulted another doctor who agrees the procedure must be done and also agrees it should be done with bone harvested from my hip.

I guess my question is for a four-level discotomy (that has failed once already) is there any reason why the doctor should absolutely refuse to use my own bone? It seems like it should be more my choice?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:03 pm

User avatar Sorry about the delay in response.

I think that harvesting bone from the other hip would suffice.

Let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here