Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Moderate Pain Between Two Vertebrae

ahughes06 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 pm

After doing backbend exercises in yoga class, during which I had no back pain, I woke up the following morning with pain between two of my lower thoracic vertebrae. It is a dull pain that comes when I bend my back forward or backward in my full range of motion, and if I press directly between two of my vertebrae. There is no pain when I press on either side of these vertebrae or above/below them. I'm not too concerned, but my parents and boyfriend are worried I should go to the doctor. The pain is about a 4 or a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Should I be worried at all? Does it sound like a herniated disc, or would the pain be more severe? Thank you for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:59 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Although you've localized the pain well enough that is might seem possibly a herniated disk, the odds are it's not; more likely it's a muscle pull that's lying right across where you're pressing. However, with pain of the intensity you're describing, if this doesn't respond to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain meds (like ibuprofin or naproxyn) and doesn't resolve in a day or two, then yes, you probably should be seen, just to be certain you haven't suffered a herniated disk. Again, it seems very unlikely, but if this lasts and especially if any additional symptoms develop downstream from the location of the pain (like pain or tingling in your legs, etc., depending on where the spot is along your spine) then it would need to be checked. I still think it most likely a pulled muscle and recommend something like Advil first. If this helps significantly, or if it resolves on its own, it should be fine.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|