Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: Pins and needles / numbness in thumb and index finger

bgengine - Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 am

Hi, I have pins and needles in my thumb, index finger and middle finger ( left hand) for the past 2 weeks. I can't remember hurting any part of my body - though I have a habit of sleeping in a curled up way on my left shoulder - and approx 2 weeks ago i did wake up with apain in my sholder. the pain in my shoulder has since gone - but the pins and needles ( some times numbness ) in my hand persists.
I expect I may have damaged a nerve or something but am wondering if there is anything I can do to help remove the tingly feeling in my fingers. Should I put an ice pack or heat pack on it ? ( but where? - what part of my arm?) Should I do excercises ?
What would happen in the long term if it is left untreated ? - do nerves fix themselves ?

thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It sounds as though you may have something pressing on the radial or medial nerve on that side, probably in the area of the shoulder, but there's no guarantee it's there. It could be somewhere else higher up or further down. The problem is that nerves not only don't fix themselves, they also rarely get out from under things that are pressing them nor move themselves back into their native postions, at least without some outside help, which can range from physical therapy to minor surgery.

First thing to do would be to see a neurologist who can help determine which nerve is causing the symptoms and locate where the impingement is located. Once that's done he (or she) can refer you to either physical therapy or a neurosurgeon who can free the entrapped nerve or get things back into proper alignment. Sometimes with this sort of problem the solution is as simple as doing certain types of stretching exercises. It all depends. It seems likely the problem is fairly simple since there's no known trauma.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you with this.

|